Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album

Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Hermitage carvings1481 viewsCarvings from the frontage saved after the old Hermitage School in East Argyle Street was demolished. It was built in 1880 in late Gothic style for the School Board of Row on land formerly part of Hermitage House made available by the Cramb family, and demolished in 1977 by George Hood & Co. Ltd. This image compilation is from photos taken by Stewart Noble of the carvings, now in the garden of the home of Mr Hood's son Charlie.
Rhu Amateurs1481 viewsThe Rhu Amateurs team and officials Ian McKay, Donny Thomson and Richard Don in August 1966. Captain Finlay Colquhoun is front row centre, with Joe McKell on his right. The back row includes Alistair Glendye, Billy Goodall, keeper Finlay MacDonald, and Jim Shields.
Camis Eskan1479 viewsA 1928 engraving by J.Westley of a drawing by J.R.Neale of Camis Eskan House.
Donkey Rides1477 viewsUndated, but possibly the 1960s. Can anyone provide a date?
This image is watermarked.
Glenmallon School1477 viewsPupils outside Glenmallon School on Loch Longside, circa 1940. Graham McGlone stands tall in the centre. Others are Herbert Gray, Alan Brough, Agnes Kirkwood, Norma Anton, Peter McKichan, Sheila Anton, Jessie Ronald, Joyce Russell, Maybeth Stevenson and Ernest ? One of the teachers is Miss Fergusson; the other possibly Miss Hattle. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
TS Empress1476 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
Outdoor pool1475 viewsA busy day at Helensburgh's outdoor swimming pool beside the pier. This photo, from a family album, was supplied by Donald Watson. Image date unknown.
Glenmallon School1473 viewsPupils of Glenmallon School on Loch Longside travelled to Helensburgh for this 1940 class photograph. Back row: Agnes ?, Alison Craig, Ernest ?, Rita Beattie, Rosemary Cameron, Rae Bolton (kilt); middle row: Sheila Anton, Peter McKichen, Betty Bowie, Miss Ferguson, Elspeth ? On ground: Jean Stone and Jimmy Beattie. Image supplied by Stella Trainor, Ontario, Canada.
Loch Lomond Youth Hostel1473 viewsThe former Loch Lomond Youth Hostel, Auchendennan, overlooks the loch at Duck Bay. Built on the site of Robert the Bruce’s hunting lodge, the mansion — now back in private ownership — has many original features, including a sweeping staircase with vast stained glass windows, a ballroom, and even a claimed haunted room. Erected from 1842-46 for George Martin, a Glasgow merchant, with later additions to the house by Mr Chrystal, a chemical manufacturer, it passed to the Scottish Youth Hostels Association in 1945 and was sold in 2013. Image circa 1959.
Cairndhu1470 viewsThe Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused, photographed by Helensburgh photographer Bill Benzie. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. Image date unknown.
New Year Swim 19661469 viewsBy tradition, girls were the first to enter the water at Helensburgh pier. The first man in was Helensburgh Swimming Club president Angus Trail, his 38th Ne'erday plunge. This was the first year that certificates were presented to the participants. Designed by local artist Gregor Ian Smith, they bore the proud inscription 'Many are cauld but few are frozen'.
Inverclyde, Cove1459 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, before it became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
1912 files on 160 page(s) 10