Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Deborah_Kerr_1954.jpg
Deborah Kerr aged 32473 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr pictured in July 1954 at the age of 32 during filming of 'The End of the Affair' in which she co-starred with Peter Cushing and Van Johnson.
Garelochhead_Hotel_view~0.jpg
Garelochhead Hotel view473 viewsThe view looking north from outside Garelochhead Hotel. It was was demolished following a serious fire in the 1990s. Image circa 1906.
Baird-plaque-May-1-1952-w.jpg
Burgh plaque unveiled472 viewsOn May 1 1952 a commemorative plaque for John Logie Baird was unveiled at Helensburgh's Municipal Buildings. On the left is Provost William Lever performing the unveiling. On his left are one of the Bailies, then Annie Baird, Diana Baird, Jean Conley (nee Baird), Malcolm Baird, two councillors or officials, and the second Bailie.
Daylight-TV-1930.jpg
Daylight TV472 viewsDaylight TV at Long Acre in 1930, with John Logie Baird on the right.
Park_Church.jpg
Park Church472 viewsPark Church at the junction of East King Street and Charlotte Street, Helensburgh, now the Buddhist Meditation Centre of Scotland. Built in 1862 as the East Free Church, it became Park United Free Church in 1900 following the union of the Free Church and the United Presbyterian Church. It became Park Church in 1929 when the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland united as the Church of Scotland. The congregation became part of Helensburgh Parish Church, and in 2016 the church building was bought by Buddhists. Image published by M.C.Robertson, West End Library, Helensburgh, circa 1912.
Queen_s_Hotel~0.jpg
Queen's Hotel472 viewsThe Queen's Hotel was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Baird-light2.jpg
Baird's electric light plant471 viewsAs a schoolboy John Logie Baird installed an electric light plant in the family home, the Manse, in West Argyle Street, Helensburgh. He is seen here with part of the plant. A home-made dynamo was driven by a water-wheel connected to the water main, and with a collection of jam jars and sheet lead successfully generated current.
Luss_village_Taylor.jpg
Luss village471 viewsPoet, artist and composer C.John Taylor (1915-98) painted this Luss village scene in oils, and it was used as a souvenir postcard to mark the village being used by Scottish Television as the location for the TV soap 'Take The High Road', which ran from 1980 to 2003. The Stockport-born artist lived on Seil Island near Oban for much of his life, and had a branch of his Highland Arts Exhibition business in Luss. Image circa 1990.
Comet-B-Aug-1962.jpg
Comet replica 1962470 viewsThe Comet replica, built by apprentices at William Lithgow at Port Glasgow for the 150th anniversary of the first sailing of Henry Bell's Comet, Europe's first commercial steamship, is seen steaming down river past a cruise liner. To mark the anniversary, the replica sailed from Port Glasgow to Helensburgh, with civic dignitaries on board in costume for 1812. Image taken and supplied by Jim Bamber.
Fruin-Water071-w.jpg
Fruin Water470 viewsAn old image of the Fruin Water. Image date and exact location not known.
JLB-CRT-Receiver-1937.jpg
Baird receiver470 viewsJohn Logie Baird is pictured with a C.R.T. receiver, circa 1935.
Leaving-station-w.jpg
Heading for camp470 viewsTerritorials of 162 Battery 54th Light Anti-Aircraft, Royal Artillery, from Helensburgh leave Helensburgh Central Station in September 1939 on route to England for training. They marched from the Drill Hall in Lomond Street to the station led by a piper. Among those in the picture are D.Kennedy, Gordon Hattle, Wug Robertson, G.Bailey, G.Nicholson, Tom Rennie, Angus McKell, Tom Rennie, Lachie McDonald, John Joseph Donnachie and Ian Lawrie. They were in France till June 21 1940, having served in Rheims protecting airfields and retreating to Marseilles where they embarked on a collier, possibly the last British ship to leave. They were taken to Gibralter. Image supplied by Lachie McDonald's daughter, Mrs Betty Stewart, who remembers seeing them march off to war.
1847 files on 154 page(s) 108