Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
pool_1930s18.jpg
Taking the plunge1337 viewsFour young swimmers jump into the Helensburgh outdoor pool in the 1930s.
Inverclyde,_Cove.jpg
Inverclyde, Cove1333 viewsInverclyde at Cove while it was a Holiday Home run by Glasgow YMCA. Also known as Hartfield House, this Cove mansion was owned at one time by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, before it became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Larchfield-1-w.jpg
Larchfield School 19581323 viewsThe first part of a whole school picture taken in front of the Colquhoun Street building in 1958. Image supplied by Phil Plumbe, a former Clyde Street School and Larchfield pupil now living in Melbourne, Australia.
Ferniegair.jpg
Ferniegair1322 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle1300 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Photo taken in 1946.
Ardencaple-Castle-demoli3912.jpg
Castle demolition1294 viewsThe main tower of Ardencaple Castle is seen just before its demolition in July 1959. The square tower on the left was retained and is still standing.
Esplanade_19704.jpg
Pony Rides1280 viewsFun on Helensburgh beach at the pierhead in 1970.
1970-Aerial-view-22.jpg
View from above1279 viewsAn aerial view of central Helensburgh, circa 1970.
Hermitage-1st-XV-1961-2.jpg
Hermitage School 1st XV1274 viewsThe 1961-2 Hermitage School rugby team, led by captain Campbell Smith (front row centre).
1947-Hermitage-Xmas5421.jpg
1947 Hermitage Christmas Dance1270 viewsSenior pupils of Hermitage School at their Christmas Dance in 1947. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
Ardencaple_Castle_derelict1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle derelict1267 viewsThe last private resident, Mrs H.MacAulay-Stromberg, bought the castle from Sir Iain Colquhoun in 1923 and at last the castle returned to MacAulay ownership. Under her care the castle and grounds were brought back into good order. She died in 1931, and it faced a long period of neglect. During the Second World War it was used by the Admiralty as Naval Married Quarters, and it was demolished in 1957 to make room for a naval housing estate. Image by courtesy of the Clan MacAulay Association, date unknown.
St_Bride_s_School085.jpg
St Bride's School1254 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1934.
1868 files on 156 page(s) 11