Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Seafront-shelter.jpg
Seafront shelter324 viewsThe William Street shelter on the West Esplanade, Helensburgh, published by M.C.Robertson, West Clyde Street. It was one of several seafront shelters which fell into disrepair and were demolished towards the end of the century. Image circa 1910.
West-United-Free-Church-2-1903.jpg
West United Free Church324 viewsThe West United Free Church in Colquhoun Square in 1903. Later it became St Andrew's Church of Scotland, then Old and St Andrew's, then the West Kirk, and now Helensburgh Parish Church. Image supplied by a former minister of the church, the Rev David Clark.
Loch_Lomond_road.jpg
Loch Lomond road323 viewsA sharp bend on the A82 Loch Lomond road on the west side of the loch. Image circa 1950.
SS_Helensburgh115.jpg
Sailing ship Helensburgh323 viewsThe three masted iron full-rigged ship named Helensburgh, a fine main skysail yarder, was built by Robert Duncan of Port Glasgow in 1883 for Thom & Cameron of Glasgow, but in 1906 they sold her to a Norwegian, M.H.Bruusgaard of Drammen, who renamed her Marita. During World War One she was stopped and sunk on April 23 1917 by a German submarine, U-82, about 110 miles west of St Kilda while on passage from Buenos Aires to Aarhus with a cargo of grain. Image date unknown.
Ardgartan_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Ardgartan Youth Hostel322 viewsArdgartan Youth Hostel, three miles from Arrochar on the west side of Loch Long, is seen with the Cobbler in the background. The Scottish Youth Hostels Association obtained the hostel, which sleeps over 100, from the King George's Jubilee Trust, which purchased it in 1936. Originally Ardgartan House, a private mansion built by Campbell of Strachur, it was closed in 1968, and replaced with a more modern building. Image date unknown.
Luss_from_pier2177.jpg
Luss village322 viewsView of the main street from the pier, circa 1932.
Rhu_from_Point.jpg
Rhu from the Point322 viewsA view of Rhu from Rhu Spit, circa 1908, produced by W.D.B. Co., of Helensburgh.
Stormy-seafront-w.jpg
Stormy seafront322 viewsThis old picture shows the pier and the esplanade being battered by a storm at high tide. Image date unknown.
Tarbet_from_golf_course.jpg
Tarbet Hotel322 viewsAn unusual view of Tarbet Hotel, taken from what was then Tarbet golf course, with Loch Lomond beyond. Image circa 1920.
Cardross_SWRI_Play0633.jpg
Cardross SWRI Drama321 viewsThe cast of the Cardross SWRI production of 'A Question of Colour', performed at the Geilston Hall, Cardross, as part of the Dunbartonshire SWRI One Act Drama Festival in February 1969. In the cast were Helen Clark, Mona Hutchison, Marion Campbell, Elizabeth Gray, Elsie Carroll, Christina McGeorge and Irene Auchinleck.
Garelochhead_Hotel_view~0.jpg
Garelochhead Hotel view321 viewsThe view looking north from outside Garelochhead Hotel. It was was demolished following a serious fire in the 1990s. Image circa 1906.
Gareloch-yacht155.jpg
Gareloch sunset320 viewsA yacht tows a dinghy as it make its way from Shandon towards Rhu Narrows, circa 1930.
1694 files on 142 page(s) 111