Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
HERMITAGE_1958.jpg
Class of '581126 viewsA group of Hermitage School pupils pictured in 1958.
DSCI0007.jpg
Grindwheel1102 viewsThis has been placed below the dated roundels of Malig Mill. These remains are in Hermitage Park and to the rear of the Victoria Halls.
Clyde-Street-School-choir2.jpg
Clyde Street School Choir1101 viewsWinners of the premier award at the Glasgow Music Festival in 1955, with music teacher Mrs Frances Gillies (then Miss Marshall) and head teacher Alex Douglas. Back: Marilyn White, -, Elizabeth Soutar, Anne Soutar, Mary McKinnon, -, the late Mrs Anne Hill, -, Molly Oswald; 2nd back: Mary Cranston, -, Rae Dennett, -, Donald Scott, -, Ronnie MacLean, -, Catriona McKinnon, Janet Fagan, -; 3rd back: Dolina Buchanan, -, Michael Kipling, Ilona Symons, Tom Spence, -, Jim Graham, -, -; front: -, -, Elizabeth Trail, -, Agnes Dennett, -, John McPhail, -, Willie Beeson, Elspeth Williamson, Rhoda McKinnon, Sheila Sommerville. More names would be welcomed.
1957-Hermitage-3rd-year.jpg
Hermitage School 3rd year1097 viewsThe Hermitage School 3rd year class, circa 1957. Back: Donald Burt, Donald Robertson, Thomson Martin, Ian Munro, Gordon Tran (who supplied the image), Glen Marsland, Ian Black, Kenneth McLaren, Billy Galloway, Ian Miller; middle: Frank Cowe, Anne Hollingsworth, John Trail, Eleanor McGurk, David Norman, Margaret Burgess, Eric Wheldon, Vance Bride; front: Rosemary Young, unknown, Dorothy Calderwood, Moira Beveridge, teacher Jack Younger, Marjory Begg, Elizabeth Minnis, Marie Burnie, Christine Maitland.
Knockderry-Castle127.jpg
Knockderry Castle1097 viewsA view of Knockderry Castle at Cove, published by MacFarlane Brothers of Cove, circa 1908. Built on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again.
Image1-144.jpg
Shandon Hydro1091 viewsShandon Hydro and the extensive gardens. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
Rhu-dance-class.jpg
Country dance class1088 viewsMembers of a country dance class run in Rhu Village Hall by nursery gardener Alec Parlane. Image supplied by Alistair Quinlan, circa 1955.
6th-Year-1966-67.jpg
First Prefects1086 viewsThe Prefects for the opening year of the new Hermitage Academy at Colgrain in 1966. Front centre is Dr Margaret Morrison, nee Baird, and immediately behind her is Alistair Quinlan, who supplied this image.
50s_Hermitage_concert0952.jpg
Hermitage School Concert1076 viewsPupils from 4th, 5th and 6th years who performed at the Hermitage School Concert in 1950. Image supplied by Iain McCulloch.
Lansdowne20.jpg
Lansdowne House1069 viewsOriginally privately-owned, the mansion on Victoria Road became a St Bride's and then Lomond School boarding house. It is now demolished, and its grounds will be the site of a housing development. Image supplied by David Arthur, date unknown.
Hermitage-1944.jpg
Hermitage class 19441068 viewsA Hermitage School class pictured in 1944. Image supplied by Gordon Tran.
Hartfield_House1711.jpg
Hartfield House1066 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
1652 files on 138 page(s) 3