Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
1956-Hermitage-class.jpg
1956 Hermitage class1781 viewsMrs Purdie's class at Hermitage School, Helensburgh, in 1956. Image supplied by Rosemary Edmeades (nee Rae), of Southern California, USA. She is seen third from Mrs Purdie's left.
Hermitage_Secondary_3B_1958.jpg
Hermitage Secondary 3B 19581776 viewsBack row: X, Alex Smith, David Galloway, X, Alasdair Glendye, X, X, X, X, Alastair McIntyre, Colin McCallum, Jean Crook, Maray Cranstoun; 2nd back row: Lindsay Malan, Helen Murdoch, Sylvie Gilchrist, Molly Oswald, X, X, X, X, X, X; 2nd front row: X, Janet Fagan, X, X, X, Mr. Smith, X, X, X, X, Irene McLaren; front row: X, John Potter, Jim Graham, Robert Cameron, X, John McPhail. Image supplied by Jim Graham. More names would be welcomed.
Old_School_group.jpg
1920s Hermitage School class1769 viewsA picture by Brown & Son of Helensburgh of a class at Hermitage School in the 1920s. Names would be welcomed.
Glen_Fruin_school2.jpg
Pupils of Glen Fruin School circa 1910-121763 viewsThree of the pupils are James, Graham, and Robert Douglas Thorburn. The picture was taken by keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn.
rosneathpier.jpg
Ferry Inn, Rosneath1744 viewsThe Edwin Lutyens-designed Ferry Inn was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle. Image is undated.
Image1-144.jpg
Shandon Hydro1732 viewsShandon Hydro and the extensive gardens. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
St_Bride_s_School.jpg
St Bride's School1715 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1911.
bellcairn1913-2.jpg
Bellcairn House1709 viewsA Cove mansion designed by architect William Landless in 1876.
Hermitage-5-06_085.jpg
Academy opening1696 viewsProvost William Petrie OBE JP DL of Argyll and Bute Council, a former pupil who met his wife Jean at the original Hermitage School, officially opens the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008, watched by headmaster Geoff Urie.
Hartfield_House1711.jpg
Hartfield House1695 viewsThis Cove mansion was owned by James, Lord Inverclyde, second son of the first Lord Inverclyde, and grandson of Sir George Burns, Bart., founder of the Cunard Line. An enthusiastic yachtsman, he was Vice-Commodore of the Royal Northern Yacht Club at Rhu and a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron, president of the Scottish Hockey Association, a cricketer, curler, and tennis player. He leased the shooting on Rosneath moor from the Duke of Argyll. Later it belonged to his son Alan, the 4th Baron, and then became a YMCA holiday home. The mansion was demolished in the 1960s. Image date unknown.
Rosneath_School19412.jpg
Rosneath School1689 viewsRosneath School at the Clachan, when the uniform was rather different from today. Image date unknown.
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House1680 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
1904 files on 159 page(s) 4