Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
ClydeSt1951.jpg
Clyde Street School 19511120 viewsA picture of a class at Helensburgh's Clyde Street School. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, Ontario, Canada, who is in the front row, second from the right. The boy on his right is Joe McKell, who went on to become a well known local footballer. The teacher was Miss Laing. Alex would welcome any further information.
Park_mansion.jpg
Hermitage House1118 viewsHome of the Cramb family who sold what was then called Cramb Park to the Town Council in 1911 for £3,750. During World War One it was used as an auxiliary hospital, before becoming an annexe to Hermitage School. After 1926 it became a council workshop and store, and it was eventually demolished in 1963.
HelensburghFC.jpg
Helensburgh Football Club circa 19251117 viewsSitting on the far right, centre row, is the 1890s ex-Rangers and Scotland goalkeeper Matt Dickie.
Young_swimmers09310.jpg
Top Junior Swimmers1114 viewsFive trophy winners at the Helensburgh Swimming Club prizegiving in the Red Cross Hall, East Princes Street, in October 1968. From left: Jacqueline Craig, Cynthia Mackie, Charlie Cook, Irene McGhie, and in front is Margaret Shields younger sister who collected her award for her.
rosneathpier.jpg
Ferry Inn, Rosneath1110 viewsThe Edwin Lutyens-designed Ferry Inn was commissioned by Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, in the 1890s and rebuilt from an old pub. Bob Hope stayed there while entertaining troops at the nearby World War Two naval base. It fell into disuse, but was rebuilt again in the late 1950s by boatbuilder Peter Boyle. Image is undated.
ClydeSt1953.jpg
Clyde Street School 1953-41107 viewsA picture of a class at Helensburgh's Clyde Street School. Image supplied by Alex Hunter, Ontario, Canada, who is in the third row, second from the right. In the second row, fourth from left, is Mary MacKinnon, and on the extreme left of the front row is Joe McKell who went on to become a well known local footballer. Alex thinks the teacher was Miss Minto, and would welcome any more information.
Knockderry-Castle5062.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove1101 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1970.
Ardenconnel_house.jpg
Ardenconnel House1100 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Date unknown.
Kilmahew,_Cardross.jpg
Kilmahew, Cardross1100 viewsKilmahew House at Cardross, built in 1868 to designs by John Burnet. In 1948 the property was acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. The mansion was demolished in 1995 after it had been gutted in a fire started by vandals. Image circa 1932.
Hermitage-5-06_085.jpg
Academy opening1095 viewsProvost William Petrie OBE JP DL of Argyll and Bute Council, a former pupil who met his wife Jean at the original Hermitage School, officially opens the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008, watched by headmaster Geoff Urie.
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House1094 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
earlybaths.jpg
The Swimming Pool1093 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor pool. Undated, possible the 1960s.
1696 files on 142 page(s) 5