Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Kilmahew-Castle1.jpg
Kilmahew Castle1647 viewsKilmahew Castle at Cardross was built on land granted to the Napier family by Malcolm, the Earl of Lennox, around 1290. The castle, originally a four-storey 16th century tower house, was built in the 16th century by the Napiers, who owned it until 1820. The estate had to be sold to pay off the last Laird's gambling debts.The ruins were acquired by the Archdiocese of Glasgow, with the surrounding estate, in 1948, and the now derelict St Peter's Priests Training College was built nearby. Image date unknown.
Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg
Glen Fruin School circa 19101644 viewsThis one teacher school was built in 1840, and the building still stands today as a private house near the Black Bridge. The photograph was taken by Helensburgh grocery manager and keen amateur photographer Robert Thorburn, and several members of the Thorburn family were pupils.
Drumfork_House4.jpg
Helensburgh's Oldest House1640 viewsThe town's oldest house is Drumfork House at Colgrain, which stood beside the path on which cattle were driven from Loch Lomondside to the Drumfork Ferry to be taken to market at Greenock. The house, which is at the east end of East King Street beyond the railway arch, was for a time the home of Colonel George Findlay V.C., a World War One hero. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Clarendon0782.jpg
Clarendon1635 viewsA very old photograph of Clarendon in James Street, now the junior department of Lomond School. Date unknown.
ardencaplecastle1.jpg
Ardencaple Castle1631 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAulay. Image from a postcard dated 1901.
Empress_19053.jpg
The Empress1626 viewsA 1905 photograph of the Training Ship Empress and two large yachts moored in Rhu Bay. Formerly the warship Revenge, the Clyde Training Ship Association vessel was home and school to 350-400 boys.
Wolseley-Garage.jpg
Bandstand and Garage1616 viewsA view of the Helensburgh seafront bandstand with the Granary building in the distance during the period that it was a Garage and Wolseley Depot, circa 1920.
The-Ragged-School.jpg
The Ragged School1613 viewsHelensburgh's first school was Grant Street School — also known as the Ragged School or the Industrial School — at the corner of Grant Street and East Princes Street. It dates back to 1853 when Government funds were obtained for the erection of a school, and in 1873 it became the responsibility of the Row (Rhu) School Board. It was replaced by Clyde Street School in 1903, and the land was built on in an expansion of the Gas Works.
Empress-Band-2~0.jpg
CTS Empress Band1612 viewsHarry Wadsworth, Bandmaster, late of the Coldstream Guards Band, with the band of the training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the loch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1910.
Hermitage-6-06_086.jpg
Academy opening1612 viewsTalented young violinist Ryan Young plays a set of reels during the official opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008. On the left of the picture is the Duke of Argyll. Photo by Donald Fullarton.
Piers_Swim0754.jpg
Piers Swim1609 viewsSome of the Helensburgh Swimming Club members who took part in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier swim in August 1963. From left: Ken Mercer, Rod MacPhail, Elizabeth Soutar, Sandy MacRitchie, Colin McCallum. It was the first time Rod entered, and his time of 47 minutes on a calm night was the fastest he ever achieved. Ken Mercer, whose mother Edith taught hundreds of local children to swim, won it for the umpteenth time in 25-28 minutes.
1948-Hermitage-Form-V5432.jpg
Form Five, Hermitage School, 19481608 viewsThe fifth form pupils at Hermitage School in June 1948. Boys: John Gorrie, Donald Ross, Archie MacPherson, Robin Wright, Leo Capaldi, Ian Cowie, Ian Bulloch, Jack Revie. Girls: Cecilia Renwick, Jessie Ronald, Elspeth McArhur, teacher Miss Mosen, Eleanor Williamson, June James, Jenny Burgess. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
1906 files on 159 page(s) 6