Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Hermitage-9-06_087.jpg
Academy opening1296 viewsAmerican guest Dr John Jackson speaks at the opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008. He said a few words of greeting on behalf of the school's international links.
knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove1296 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1913, possibly taken from the roof of Bellcairn House, looking south.
1960_Hermitage_School.jpg
Hermitage School 19601295 viewsMiss Purdy's class at Hermitage School, circa 1960. Top from left David Smith, -, -, -, -, -, David Blair, Douglas Beaton, Jackie Kerr; 2nd top, Miss Purdy, Willy McMillan, -, -, Morris Kirk, -, -, Archie Haining, John Fraser; 3rd top Colin McCallum, -, -, -, Francis Mundie, Ian Jack, Irene Robb, Campbell Rich; front Liz Tran?, -, Dorothy Hood?, May Patterson, -, -, Wendy Swankie. Can anyone fill in the blanks? Image supplied by Ian Jack.
The_Empress_19091.jpg
The Empress, circa 19091295 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time.
Hermitage_School_fruit.jpg
Gift of fruit1294 viewsPupils and teachers at Hermitage Park gather to receive a gift of apples from the British Columbia Fruit Growers in Canada in 1951. Miss Lennie presided over the distribution to the children. Image supplied by Cecilia Dunlop.
Empress_19053.jpg
The Empress1293 viewsA 1905 photograph of the Training Ship Empress and two large yachts moored in Rhu Bay. Formerly the warship Revenge, the Clyde Training Ship Association vessel was home and school to 350-400 boys.
Old_burgh_class.jpg
1920s burgh class1288 viewsA 1920s Helensburgh school class photographed by W.D.Brown & Co. of West Bay Studio, Helensburgh. Any information about the people in the picture would be welcomed.
Empress3.jpg
TS Empress1282 viewsThe Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. In this picture some can be seen aloft. Image circa 1910.
St_Bride_s_School~0.jpg
St Bride's School1266 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1912.
Ardenconnel_House2211.jpg
Ardenconnel House1262 viewsA B-listed mansion in Rhu, built by the Buchanan family in the late 18th century. Ardenconnel was one of the principal estates of the old parish of Row. It was bought in 1899 by the Countrywide Holidays Association, and by 1908 could accommodate 120 guests. The CHA is the oldest walking holiday company in the country, set up in 1893 to encourage participation in, and enjoyment of, the countryside, and to this day, while no longer operating walking holidays, is still working hard to fulfil the vision of founder the Rev T.A.Leonard. The mansion was later converted into modern flats. Image circa 1905.
Piers_Swim0754.jpg
Piers Swim1262 viewsSome of the Helensburgh Swimming Club members who took part in the annual Craigendoran pier to Helensburgh pier swim in August 1963. From left: Ken Mercer, Rod MacPhail, Elizabeth Soutar, Sandy MacRitchie, Colin McCallum. It was the first time Rod entered, and his time of 47 minutes on a calm night was the fastest he ever achieved. Ken Mercer, whose mother Edith taught hundreds of local children to swim, won it for the umpteenth time in 25-28 minutes.
Glenoran-House-mono.jpg
Glenoran House1261 viewsGlenoran House in Rhu, up the hill above the Ardencaple Hotel. It is thought to have been designed and built in 1869 by John Honeyman for Charles Kidston, a member of the well known Kidston family, and was demolished a century later to make way for a housing development — which has never happened. Image supplied by Trish Fleming.
1812 files on 151 page(s) 7