Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Glenoran-House-mono.jpg
Glenoran House1035 viewsGlenoran House in Rhu, up the hill above the Ardencaple Hotel. It is thought to have been designed and built in 1869 by John Honeyman for Charles Kidston, a member of the well known Kidston family, and was demolished a century later to make way for a housing development — which has never happened. Image supplied by Trish Fleming.
Cardross-Primary-School2.jpg
Cardross Primary School1034 viewsThe current Cardross village primary school is pictured. Image date not known.
St_Bride_s_School~0.jpg
St Bride's School1029 viewsSt Bride's School for girls at 10 Stafford Street, which was founded in 1895. In 1977 it merged with Larchfield School for boys to become Lomond School. The St Bride's building was largely destroyed in an overnight fire in 1997, but was rebuilt to house the senior and top primary pupils. Image circa 1912.
Australian-flag1.jpg
Flag gifted Down Under1026 viewsMargaret Badham, Assistant Principal at Helensburgh Public School in New South Wales, Australia, supplied this old picture, taken when a red Union Jack was presented to her school by the pupils of our Hermitage School in 1911. The flag is kept in a frame in the school in Australia, and the photo from the school archive shows the raising of the flag for the first time.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-2.jpg
Larchfield class1006 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Mrs Mary Arthur. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
Rhu_Amateurs196721.jpg
Scotland's Champions996 viewsThe famous Rhu Amateurs team which won the Scottish Amateur Cup on May 13 1967, beating Penilee United 3-1 in the final at Hampden Park, Glasgow. The scorers were Barry Irvine, then Neil Walsh with two. Team: Finlay MacDonald; Alistair Glendye, Arthur Thomson; Paul Robertson, Finlay Colquhoun (capt), Neil Walsh; Barry Irvine, Jim Shields, Joe McKell, Billy Mooney, Johnny Armstrong. 12th man: Jim Aitken.
1948-Hermitage-Form-V5432.jpg
Form Five, Hermitage School, 1948992 viewsThe fifth form pupils at Hermitage School in June 1948. Boys: John Gorrie, Donald Ross, Archie MacPherson, Robin Wright, Leo Capaldi, Ian Cowie, Ian Bulloch, Jack Revie. Girls: Cecilia Renwick, Jessie Ronald, Elspeth McArhur, teacher Miss Mosen, Eleanor Williamson, June James, Jenny Burgess. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
1960_Hermitage_School.jpg
Hermitage School 1960992 viewsMiss Purdy's class at Hermitage School, circa 1960. Top from left David Smith, -, -, -, -, -, David Blair, Douglas Beaton, Jackie Kerr; 2nd top, Miss Purdy, Willy McMillan, -, -, Morris Kirk, -, -, Archie Haining, John Fraser; 3rd top Colin McCallum, -, -, -, Francis Mundie, Ian Jack, Irene Robb, Campbell Rich; front Liz Tran?, -, Dorothy Hood?, May Patterson, -, -, Wendy Swankie. Can anyone fill in the blanks? Image supplied by Ian Jack.
Old_swimming_pool0898.jpg
Outdoor Pond989 viewsHelensburgh's outdoor swimming pool with buses parked outside and West Clyde Street beyond. Date unknown.
Ardencaple_Castle1241.jpg
Ardencaple Castle985 viewsOnly one tower still remains of this ancient seat of the Clan MacAuley. Image date unknown.
Rosneath-Castle-and-bay.jpg
Rosneath Castle and Camsail Bay985 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London architect Joseph Bonomi, the neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image published by E.Eakin, Post Office, Roseneath (as it was spelt then); date unknown.
Rosneath_Castle.jpg
Rosneath Castle983 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1939.
1696 files on 142 page(s) 8