Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Rosneath_Castle.jpg
Rosneath Castle920 viewsThe castle and grounds from the air. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1939.
West_seafront21614.jpg
West seafront918 viewsLooking west from the pier, with some youngsters paddling. Date unknown.
Rosneath_Castle29711.jpg
Rosneath Castle917 viewsCompleted in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961. Image circa 1905.
TS_Empress261.jpg
TS Empress916 viewsThe training ship Empress moored in the Gareloch off Rhu. She was the second of two charitable training ships for boys, and was in the Gareloch from 1889 until the 1920s, with staff giving a tough and sometimes brutal training to the 300 boys on board at any time. Image circa 1902.
1972-Rhu-Amateurs019.jpg
Rhu Amateurs 1972914 viewsThis picture of the Rhu Amateurs 1967 Scottish Amateur Cup-winning team was taken at New Year 1972, when they lined up against a Rhu Select at Ardenconnel Park. Standing: Billy Goodall, Alistair Glendye, unknown, Finlay MacDonald, Jim Shields, Finlay Colquhoun, unknown; front: unknown, Joe McKell, unknown, unknown, unknown.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-4.jpg
Larchfield class914 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Mrs Simpson. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
1948-Hermitage-Xmas5453.jpg
1948 Hermitage Christmas Dance912 viewsSenior pupils of Hermitage School at their Christmas Dance in 1948. Image supplied by Jenny Sanders.
1960_Hermitage_School.jpg
Hermitage School 1960898 viewsMiss Purdy's class at Hermitage School, circa 1960. Top from left David Smith, -, -, -, -, -, David Blair, Douglas Beaton, Jackie Kerr; 2nd top, Miss Purdy, Willy McMillan, -, -, Morris Kirk, -, -, Archie Haining, John Fraser; 3rd top Colin McCallum, -, -, -, Francis Mundie, Ian Jack, Irene Robb, Campbell Rich; front Liz Tran?, -, Dorothy Hood?, May Patterson, -, -, Wendy Swankie. Can anyone fill in the blanks? Image supplied by Ian Jack.
67_NY_Swim1441.jpg
1967 New Year Swim895 viewsChilly swimmers on Helensburgh pier before the start of the 1967 Ne'erday Swim. The girls are (from left) Morag Mackie, Margaret Shields, Sandy MacRitchie holding the puppy, Cynthia Mackie, Alison McLuskie, Christine Ferguson, Catherine Rennie and Irene McGhie. It is thought the boy on the right is Arthur Lawson, but the other boy's name is not known.
Larchfield_School_about_1957-3.jpg
Larchfield class894 viewsA class at Helensburgh's Larchfield School in Colquhoun Street circa 1957. The teacher is Miss Buchanan. Image supplied by Robert Whitton whose father, the Rev R.A.Whitton, was minister of St Michael and All Angels Church from 1951-9.
Knockderry_House.jpg
Knockderry House893 viewsKnockderry House at Cove was built around 1846 as a summer retreat. In 1890 Glasgow cotton merchant David Anderson decided to upgrade the house and asked the well known architect William Leiper to draw up plans. Later it was converted to an hotel, and what is now the guest lounge and the rooms above were added at that time, along with the turrets and towers which give the house its distinctive look. The lounge bar was originally the music room and chapel. Image date unknown.
Unknown_1966_Team5.jpg
Unknown 1966 Football Team893 viewsFrom Helensburgh area. More information welcome.
1690 files on 141 page(s) 9