Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search

Home > Heritage > Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery

Most viewed - Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust Gallery
Launch_Thistle1185.jpg
Motor Boat Thistle321 viewsThe Thistle and helmsman are pictured in the Gareloch opposite Garelochhead, circa 1920.
Old-burgh-garage.jpg
Watts Garage321 viewsThe 86 Sinclair Street yard of Watts Motor House and Repair Shop, which also had premises at 53 Sinclair Street near the Princes Street junction. This yard is adjacent to the Malig Mill which stood behind the Victoria Hall, and it was taken over by the final Mill owners, R.S.MacFarlane & Son. Image circa 1905.
PS_Industry301.jpg
PS Industry321 viewsThis painting shows the early Clyde Shipping Company paddle steamer Industry in 1815. It appeared on a postcard published in 1990 to mark 175 years of the company and Glasgow being European City of Culture. Launched in 1814, she became the seventh steamboat to service the Clyde, mainly carrying luggage and cargo between Greenock and Glasgow, but also serving as one of the Clyde’s first tugs. Her career spanned over half a century and prior to her retirement she was the oldest steamer operating on the Clyde.
Rhu_Bay12610.jpg
Rhu Bay321 viewsA 1905 picture of Rhu Bay with the tide in on a calm day.
Tarbet_Pier.jpg
Tarbet Pier321 viewsThe steamer Maid of the Loch is seen arriving at Tarbet Pier. Image circa 1958.
colquhoun_square.jpg
Colquhoun Square320 views
Gareloch_from_Rhu.jpg
Gareloch from above Rhu320 viewsA view over Rhu Spit — before it was dredged and widened — to Rosneath from above Rhu. Image circa 1920.
Outdoor-pool-backstroke-race.jpg
Backstroke race320 viewsThree contestants are seen battling it out in a Helensburgh Swimming Club backstroke race at the outdoor pool in this 1949 image. Built in 1928 as a gift from Provost Andrew Buchanan, beside the pier, the pool was replaced in 1976 by an indoor pool on an adjacent site, and a year later the outdoor pool was closed. It was demolished in 1996 and replaced by a childrens play area.
PS_Waverley_(1st)299.jpg
The first Waverley320 viewsThe first paddle steamer Waverley, built by A. & J.Inglis at Pointhouse, Glasgow, in 1899, was bombed and sunk at Dunkirk on May 30 1940 — the 41st anniversary of her launch date — as HMS Waverley, and 350 officers men lost their lives. The 537 ton North British Steam Packet Company vessel was purchased in 1902 by the North British Railway and in 1923 by the London and North Eastern Railway. Image circa 1925.
Rhu_and_Gareloch.jpg
Gareloch and Rhu320 viewsA view of the Gareloch and Rhu taken during the Second World War. Image circa 1944.
Sir_William-1.jpg
Sir William Raeburn320 viewsSir Wiliam Raeburn, 1st Baronet of Helensburgh, is pictured in the large conservatory at his home, Woodend, Millig Street, in July 1933 with a visiting friend, Marjorie Pipon. Sir William was head of the shipping company of Raeburn & Verel Ltd. Image by courtesy of Dr Nigel Allan.
cornmill.jpg
Old Corn Mill319 viewsOld Corn Mill, Rosneath.
Postmarked 1910
1633 files on 137 page(s) 94