A RHU house occupied for five years by the son of publisher Walter W.Blackie — who commissioned the building of Hill House in Helensburgh by Charles Rennie MacKintosh — has been put up for sale.
Offers over £495,000 are being invited for The Moss in Pier Road by agents Rettie & Co. of 147 Bath Street, Glasgow. It was bought by Walter G.Blackie in January 1941, and he and his family lived there until 1945 when they moved to Auchengower, James Street, Helensburgh.
The Moss, a detached two-storey house built of harled brick, lies in a secluded position along a 110 yard drive in a much older walled garden, and has views over the Gareloch and the Clyde. It was built in 1936 by an architect, Mr Whyte, for his daughter.
Downstairs it has a large south-facing drawing room with French doors which open on to the front lawn. The dining room leads into the kitchen, and there is also a sitting room with a south-facing bay-window. On the first floor are five bedrooms and two bathrooms.
To the rear of the house is a detached double length garage, and there are two stone garden sheds.
- The photograph is copyright Rettie & Co.